Sunday, February 14, 2010

Home remedy for ear aches... goes wrong!

WARNING: This is my longest post EVER. I have decided that I want to start using blogging as journaling. Please don't feel like you HAVE to read all of it. Someday I want to make a book of my blog for my family and I think I need to incoorporate more "journaling" and records.
In my family we have an old family remedy to help cut the pain of ear aches.
Here are the steps you take:

1. First you put a small amount of oil (any kind olive oil, canola... etc.) on a metal eating spoon.


2. Warm up the oil by placing the spoon on a hot stove burner. (You test the oil on your wrist to make sure it's not burning hot.)

3. Then proceed to pour the WARM oil into your infected ear.

Now as strange as this sounds it actually helps a lot. It doesn't cure the ear ache or make it go away but it definitely helps soothe the excruciating pain.

So... a few weeks ago I had a terrible ear ache. I definitely think that adults need to get ear infections occasionally so they can empathize with children who get them all the time! Anyways, I was sick, Ron had been working a lot and my wonderfully thoughtful mother stopped by to check on me. Being the sweet woman she is, she offered to warm up the oil and pour it in my ear. (You can't really do it yourself).

She then proceeded to my kitchen and got right to work. She knows my kitchen pretty well so she just helped herself to a spoon from my drawer, my oil, and started warming up my stove. After testing for warmth she instructs me to tip my head and she pours the oil in my ear. She had other errands to run so she wasn't able to stay long and left with a hug.

After she left I was cleaning my kitchen while holding a cotton ball to my ear. As I removed the cotton ball a few mins. later to throw it away I glanced at it and thought to myself, "huh. This oil looks pretty orange... now that I think about it, I just bought a new thing of oil... how did my mom open the oil so fast?..." As these odd thoughts are processing I glance at my kitchen counter and see this:
Oh no! I called my mom immediately with the intention of NOT telling her what I think she did to my ear but... it kinda slipped out. I just wanted to ask her what "oil" she had used and where she got it! After our conversation we put 2 and 2 together and figured out that...

YES my mom poured warm Palmolive dish soap into my ear!



Uhhhhh... what now?

In my mom's defense I just got that fancy soap dispenser for Christmas from a good friend of mine. AND the soap dispenser said "Oil Bottle" on the label! ha! She felt soooooooooo bad!

A few mins. later I got a call from my aunt in Idaho telling me to call poison control and get in the shower and rinse my ear thoroughly! My mom had called her mother (my grandma who lives in Idaho) to tell her what she had done and ask for help. I guess we never grow out of needing our mother's advice and counsel. I love you mom and love that we have this story to remember our blonde moments!

As you can see I removed the label from the soap dispenser so NO ONE else will confuse my dish washing soap for oil again!

10 comments:

  1. That's funny! I don't think that post was too long. So what does dish soap do to your ear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha too funny! Thank you for the laugh now you have one super clean ear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are too funny! That is an awesome story!! Mom must have thought, "That is the best smelling oil, when Shelly is feeling better I will have to ask her where she buys it!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the funniest stories every!! Especially as I have dealt with what has felt like dozens of ear infections with both my boys and that story just cracked me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dang it! How's you ear??

    I had an ear ache once & my mom put a drop or two of oil of oregano & it BURNED LIKE H**** for a few minutes, but it did work. It stopped hurting after that & didn't really bother me again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too funny! Hope you are all better now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! That sounds even more painful than the earache. I was just cringing on your behalf as I read that. I’m sure your mom felt so terrible about it, poor woman. I hope you were able to clear it all out and that you don’t have an earache anymore. Not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahahaha...that is SOOOO funny {not your earache of course} I love those "blond moments"! Your poor mom!! She will never live that one down:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want everyone, especially Shelly, to know that I have reformed and I will carefully TASTE the oil before I even approach anyone's ear...

    ReplyDelete
  10. AND just so you know, I told my Seminary Class the next day when they asked what I did last night (we had a good laugh) - SO - I really don't mind that Shelly TOLD THE WHOLE WORLD!!!

    ReplyDelete