Noah jumped off the couch this morning and landed on his left arm.
After that, and all day long he didn't use his left arm. Just let it hang by his side. I took his shirt off and didn't notice any swelling or anything. I really didn't want to take him to the doctor because it seems like EVERY time I do there's NEVER anything wrong with my kids!!!!
All day long he played "fairly normal" other than not using his left arm. He kept telling me, "Mom, this arm is not broken (he says while pointing to the right arm). This one is broken (gesturing to the left arm)." I called the Dr. office in the afternoon and they advised me to bring him in. So when Ron got home from work he took Noah to Urgent Care.
His jacket is on funny because they kept having to take it off for the nurses and doctor to check him and it hurt him to try and get his arm back in the sleeve. When Noah was shirtless he'd notice the ID wristband and try to get it off. He kept saying "Take it off Daddy, take it off!" But when they put the jacket on he wouldn't notice it and would stop complaining about it.

After waiting for an hour in the waiting room they brought him back to the exam room, some nurses did initial checks and then they waited another hour in the room for the doctor. They took an x-ray and determined that it wasn't broken but his left elbow was dislocated. So they popped it back in. It's amazing how fast he's back to using his arm now that it's back in place.
Dad told Noah if he was good and cooperated with the doctor that he could get an ice cream cone on the way home. And of course Daddy followed through with his promise of ice cream on the way home!
Ice Cream makes everything better!

Poor guy! It seems like I know of several kids who have gotten dislocated joints recently! He'll probably be more likely to have it happen again. Did they show/tell you how to pop it back into place by yourself if it does happen again? That way you'll be able to save yourself a trip to urgent care!
ReplyDeleteWow what a little trooper! I'm glad it wasn't broken.
ReplyDeleteGlad it was a quick fix! Silly boys. A few months ago, Trevor jumped off the bunkbeds and limped for a couple days. I kept putting off taking him but decided I'd better. Of course they said it wasn't bad enough for anything and that afternoon he wasn't even limping anymore!! hahaha
ReplyDeleteOuch, that just sounds so painful. What a tuff little boy!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it was easily taken care of.
ReplyDeleteEmryn dislocated her elbow many times. The doctor taught us how to put it back in. Once the dislocation has occurred there is a chance for it to happen again.
Crazy day! I'm glad he is okay. I can't believe how much Noah has come to look like Mason! That is so fun. Hope you are hanging in there and enjoying the remainder of your pregnancy.
ReplyDelete