Thursday, October 29, 2020

Goofy is sick








 IVDD is a four letter word in my house. Intervertebral Disk Disease

Two weeks ago Goofy was his happy active perfect self. On Tuesday, October 13th he started acting a little weird. He went from jumping all around to hardly moving and depressed.
Thursday, October 15th I took him in to the pet hospital. After a few tests, lab work and x-rays he was diagnosed with IVDD. A common disk disease caused from past trauma or just day to day trauma to the spine.
Goofy is only 7.5 years old. I always imagined he would live through most of my children’s childhood. He came home from the hospital lethargic, drugged up and quite literally a different dog. He lost full function of his back legs. and when he did get up to try to move around with great difficulty he would drag his back legs behind him. He remained in this condition for almost a solid week.
Prognosis is poor we have been told most likely he will not ever be the same dog. The following week was filled with a lot of tears, doggie carrying, frequent potty breaks, and some force feeding/watering, and lots of laundry.
Ron and I had multiple conversations about his quality of life and our options. Our family vet explained all our options in detail.
Option 1- see a dog neurologist (yes there is such a thing ) and schedule exploratory surgery (no guarantee it will work and costs around $10K)
Option 2- physical therapy- costly and time consuming
Option 3- we accept and live with a special needs dog.
Option 4- we say goodbye 
I have learned a lot about myself. I learned that I don’t like being an adult and making decisions like this. I learned that I love this dog so much more than I thought. Don’t get me wrong I have said at least a million times “Goofy is the best dog ever”. But I have never considered myself much of a dog person. I guess Goofy has converted me. Per the chiropractor recommendations (yes I found a dog chiropractor) we started exercising and massaging Goofy’s back legs. This past week has been a miracle. He still has a long ways to go but I’m so happy his personality has returned and he is doing better everyday.

1 comment: